Winter will soon be here in Edmonton, and as usual the season is due to last quite a while. Before the cold and snow officially hits, now is the perfect time to take care of maintenance and make sure your car is winter ready. The first thing you will want to do is make sure your car gets into a service center for its regularly scheduled maintenance. This will usually include an oil change and, depending on your car’s mileage, part replacements, fluid flushes, and other services. To find out what your car currently needs, you can consult your vehicle owner’s manual.
Read More: How to Prevent an Icy Windshield
When you take care of your car’s scheduled maintenance, you can also have the technician inspect the car for anything else that may be needed. Apart from this, there are other car care items you will want to take care of to make sure your car is in tip-top shape for the winter. Check out the list of car maintenance tips for winter below. If you take care of these maintenance items now, you won’t have to worry about being caught off guard in the middle of the coldest time of the year.
Other Winter Car Maintenance Tips
- Take care of any current engine or drivability issues now
- Replace dirty filters
- Have your cooling system flushed and refilled, make sure antifreeze is full
- Check the heater and defroster for potential issues
- Replace old wiper blades
- Check that the battery and charging system are in good shape
- Check all lights for issues
- Replace tires if needed; Switch to snow tires if desired
- Check the brakes and replace if needed
- Keep an emergency kit in your car with extra gloves, sand or cat litter for traction in the snow, an ice scraper, tires chains, a phone charger, and any other helpful items that can come in handy if something goes wrong when you’re out driving during the winter
- Cold weather can affect tire pressure, check the tire pressure often throughout the winter
If you are in the Edmonton area, you can stop into Wheaton Honda to take care of any maintenance or repairs for your Honda. For more great tips like this, continue reading the tips section of the Wheaton Honda blog.